Friday, February 1, 2019

We're always HAIR for you! DIY Scrunchie tutorial and gift idea!



I serve in Young Women organization for my church and we try to recognize each girl on her birthday. Last year we did candy bars, but this year we wanted to do something different. Did you know that scrunchies are super popular among tweens/teens right now? I seriously couldn't believe it! I had TONS of scrunchies when I was a girl, so it's funny to me they are back in style. They are also SO EASY to make! The leaders got together to make a bunch for the girls and I designed the card to go with it.

Once the girls got wind we were giving out scrunchies for birthdays they begged us to do a scrunchie making activity! We had 4 sewing machines with leaders supervising each machine, but the girls did the sewing (even the youngest beehives with NO sewing experience). The great thing about scrunchies is that if you mess up, you can't tell because of how "scrunchie" the material is (see what I did there--haha!)

I would definitely recommend making a couple yourself before you teach your young women. I used two different tutorials to get the general idea before I set off making my own.

I used THIS ONE and also THIS ONE---they both pretty much say the same thing, I just needed some extra pictures to figure out how they were explaining how to sew your fabric tube together and hide your seam. Also...we figured out that if you cut your elastic a little bit longer you can just tie it in a knot and sew around the knot...it makes it really easy for the girls!

There are some really cute fabric patterns out there, so go crazy! We had enough scrap fabric as leaders that we didn't have to buy any for our activity. Another tip: pre-cut out the fabric. It saves so much time! I also pre-cut the elastic too.

Here's the birthday note! Just right click on the picture, save to your computer and print!
I have lots of other young women and primary digital files over on my ETSY SHOP...please check them out! And if you liked this post, please feel free to share! Likes, shares, and pins help my little shop stay in business! Thanks for stopping by!